One of our favorite meals as the days grow colder is hot pot. A popular meal for family gatherings, hot pot creates an intimate and cozy atmosphere where everyone huddles around a single pot. Instead of having a set list of courses, everyone can cook whatever they want in the pot and eat as they cook. The best place for this is in the intimacy of your own home, but for those of us who don’t own the equipment [or are too lazy to go out and buy all the ingredients], Little Sheep is a great alternative.
Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot
4718 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
San Diego, CA 92117
There is a sad shortage of good hot pot restaurants in San Diego. However, Little Sheep tops the [short] list for us. The house broth is mouth-watering delicious alone, but add the quality meat and everything else, and you’re in food heaven. Ordering takes you through a few easy steps [all neatly numbered for you and everything]:
- Choose your broth (house broth, spicy, or split): The house broth is what makes this place stand out from other hot pot places. It’s packed with herbs and spices, giving it a unique flavor that kicks your mouth with awesomeness.
- Choose what types of meat you want in your hotpot: They have a broad selection, including beef, lamb, chicken, pork, and seafood.
- Choose the rest: veggies, noodles, and other hotpot favorites like enoki mushrooms, egg dumplings, fish balls, or tofu.
We stuck to the basic stuff you’d usually see in hot pot and weren’t too adventurous with our choices. We had beef and lamb, some different tofus and fish balls, and a plate of greens. Their seafood is just ok. The only thing I really wouldn’t recommend is the regular soft tofu. That doesn’t seem to fit as well with this type of meal, turning to mush in the soup.
Conclusion: Overall, I would recommend this place if you are craving hotpot on a cold day. The broth is really flavorful and they have a good selection of meats and other dishes. They are somewhat pricey, so don’t get too excited and order too many dishes. They add up quickly. Service is slow when it gets busy, but that doesn’t matter too much once they bring out all the food for you.
- This place is popular! Make reservations, or go on a weeknight when it’s less crowded.
- They have lunch specials for only $12 on weekdays. You also get individual pots for lunch, so if sharing germs with your whole group scares you, this is a safer option.
- They do have a few basic sauces, but you have to ask for it.